In April, some 50 hotel housekeepers were joined by health & safety officers to attend a training session organized by the IUF-affiliated PAM in Finland. Almost two thirds of the housekeepers were not directly employed by the hotel company where they worked.
Main topics of the forum were:
- Working pace;
- Safety at work and well-being;
- Working methods and multicultural working community.
Some key points housekeepers are expecting the union to take into account are:
- Shop stewards must be elected in all workplaces;
- There should be clear rules for tendering and procurement;
- Workers should have defined working hours;
- Oppose any attempt to raise the retirement age.