West Africa, unions use the hotel housekeepers initiative to put an end to sexual harassment
IUF affiliates in French speaking countries in West Africa joined the 2nd Global Week of Action with a number of workshops organized to highlight stressful and dangerous working conditions for both hotel housekeepers and valets.
Sexual harassment was the main focus of activities by IUF-affiliated unions in the sub-region led by hotel unions from Benin (FESYNTRA-HTA), Burkina Faso (SYNTETH), Guinea (FNAAEHT), Ivory Coast (CIAGAHCI-DIGNITÈ) and Niger (SYNTHOBRA). Key issues addressed at the workshops included:
- The impact of sexual harassment on victims on all levels;
- How to protect against it;
- Employers’ responsibilities in addressing and dealing with sexual harassment;
- Tools for legal defense;
- Possible remedies for victims and protection measures for victims and witnesses;
- Penalties under criminal law;
- Advice to participants on concrete possibilities of addressing the problem, starting with the union representatives, employers and justice and how coworkers could support victims.